Scheduling for the 2012-213 School Year
Please be aware that for the following school year, students may elect to take the following courses:
1. Band – available to 6th, 7th and 8th grade students (applications in the Band room)
2. Chorus – Available to 7th and 8th grade students (applications in Chorus room)
3. Student Aides – Available to only 8th grade students (applications in the front office)
If your student is interested in taking any of these courses, they must complete an application. Applications can be obtained on the school’s web site or in the specified locations above. All other enrichment courses will be scheduled based on availability after a student’s academic needs are scheduled and class size reduction is met. We will do our very best to schedule students so that they may have a variety of enrichment opportunities!
Senate Bill 610 requires the equivalent of one class period per day of physical education for one semester of each year for students in grades 6 through 8 beginning in the 2009-2010 school year. The physical education requirement shall be waived for a student who meets one of the following criteria:
• The student is enrolled or required to enroll in a remedial course.
• The student’s parent indicates in writing to the school that:
1. The parent requests that the student enroll in another course from among
those offered as options by the school district, OR
2. The student is participating in physical activities outside the school day
which are equal to or in excess of the mandated requirement.
Unless your child meets one of the waiver criteria listed above, he/she will be enrolled in physical education for at least one semester of each year while in grades 6 through 8.
*If your child meets one of the above criteria, please submit a written waiver request to the guidance office at East Ridge Middle School no later than May 11, 2012. Ensure that you include your child’s name, the reason for the waiver, the date, parent name and parent signature. We will do our very best to honor all requests. Please note that if all other classes are full, PE may still be scheduled.
Please direct your scheduling questions to our Guidance Department or Dr. Slack, the Assistant Principal for Curriculum and Instruction.