Thank you for your interest in becoming a Substitute Teacher with Lake County Schools. Substitute Teachers provide a valuable service to our students and schools. They are as-needed employees. Substitute Teachers may decide when and where they would like to work. This works well for people who are pursuing a degree in education, parents with children in school, retirees or anyone looking for flexible employment.
· High School Diploma or GED
· Reliable Transportation
· Must work at least 3 days a month
· Be Physically able to perform the duties and responsibilities of a Substitute Teacher
· Ensure adequate supervision of students and the classroom environment to assure the health, welfare and safety of all students
· Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect equipment, materials, and school property
· May supervise students in out-of-class settings (e.g., assembilies, lunch room, bus duty, schoolyard, or any other duty assigned to the regular teacher)
Steps to becoming a Substitute Teacher
1. Complete the online Substitute Application and Apply for the Substitute Teacher position. (found under the employment section, Prospective Employees, click on Applicant Login) **Please note, you will need to submit a minimum of two (2) references with an email address or bring 2 references to your scheduled appointment. Two returned/submitted references are required to be approved for employment**
2. Complete the online training course at www.edtrainingcenter.com. Select your state (Florida), then select the course labeled Introductory Teacher Training and Ethics BUNDLE (for Substitute Teachers). Once you have completed the courses, print all certificates and forms. **Please note, the fee will change from $35.00 to $20.00 once you register.**
3. Please print and complete the following packet and forms:
4. Register for your fingerprints online and print out the Barcode to bring with you to your appointment. The fee for fingerprints is $76.65. Click Here for the Fingerprint webpage. **Please note: Lake County School screens all applicants for criminal history and convictions. It is important for you to know that being convicted of two (2) or more misdemeanors may prevent you from being hired by Lake County Schools. It is important for you to know that being convicted of a felony will prevent you from being hired by Lake County Schools**
6. Bring a check or money order for $26.00 to your appointment to pay for the Pre-employment Drug Test. Please make the check or money order payble to Lake County Schools. **You must go for the drug test within 24 hours from the time you recieve your Drug Test Authorization Form**
7. Bring in a check with VOID written across the front of check to go along with your direct deposit form.
8. Bring your current Driver’s License and Social Security Card with you to your appointment.
9. Call the Human Resources Department to schedule your appointment to be fingerprinted and meet with the HR Specialsist at 352-253-6500 // 352-253-6543 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. **Please note, this happens all during the same appointment.**
10. During your appointment with the HR Specialist, you will be required to sign up for the Substitute Teacher Workshop. The workshops are held on Thursdays from 8:00am – 12:00 pm.
The pay scale is based on your level of education.
High School Diploma $58.43/day
AA Degree or 60+ credit hours $65/day
Bachelor’s Degree $75/day
Master’s Degree $80/day
1. If I have a teaching certificate, do I need to complete the online substitute training course?
No, you do NOT need to complete the online substitute training course. However, you will need to take the Ethics online class and bring in that certificate and a copy of your active or expired teaching certificate.
2. I do not have a teaching certificate but I do have a Statement of Eligibility. Do I need to complete the online substitute training course?
Yes, you will have to complete the online substitute training course.
3. When do I schedule the appointment for the Substitute Workshop?
The HR Specialist will schedule you for the workshop during your first initial appointment. The workshops are always on Thursdays and approximately 2 hours long.
4. Do I need to bring in a copy of all my transcripts, such as high school, AA, BA and Masters?
No, you only need to bring in your highest level of educational official transcripts. Faxed or copied transcripts will not be accepted.
5. Do I need to bring the Substitute Teacher New Hire Packet with me to my appointment?
Yes, you will need to bring the New Hire Packet with you and it must be completed BEFORE you arrived for your appointment.
6. When do I go for my drug test?
The HR Specialist will give you a Drug Test Authorization form at your first initial appointment.
7. Is the Substitute Teacher position a part-time or full-time position?
The Substitute Teacher position is only an as-needed position. It is neither a part-time or full-time position.
8. What is the cost of the fingerprinting fee?
The fingerprinting fee is $76.65. When you register online you can pay by credit card or you can mail in a payment to Priderock (mailing address given on their website).